Monday, June 11, 2012

Top 5 Things Catholics Do Not Worship

In case anyone was confused here are the top 5 things Catholics do not worship:

5.
Fetuses
Picture A
Picture B
Whether you think a fetus looks like picture A or picture B, Catholics don't worship them. Acknowledge them as fellow human beings? Sure. Request that they have a right to live just like you or me? Of course. Treat as a deity? Nah..

4.
Sperm
I'll admit sperm is pretty cool since, ya know, it's a functional haploid cell with super fast motility and the ability to break down the defenses of a highly guarded ovum, eventually sacrificing itself for the greater good (yes conception is good.) It's just like a James Bond movie. That doesn't mean we worship it though. I know Monty Python disagrees but trust me on this one.

3.
Saints
The saints are awesome. Seriously, read up on them. They're badass. Yeah, we ask for their intercession and pray THROUGH them because why wouldn't we? If you had a friend who was BFFs with Kate Middleton and all you wanted was some bitching wedding swag, doesn't it make more sense to ask your friend to see if she can pull some strings? That doesn't mean that your friend is now the Duchess of Cambridge, it just means they've got friends in high places and you know how to work those connections. Go you!

2.
Mary
1) Isn't that the most beautiful representation of Mary? Much better than that homely version that is represented in every church ever. Mary's beautiful end.of.story. 2) Back to the point. Same thing goes for saints only she's way closer  to Jesus because, ya know, she's His mom. 3) Come on! The woman was without sin, had a child while remaining a perpetual virgin, and sat at the foot of the cross while watching her perfect and only son be crucified. That's a woman we could all stand to learn something from. 

1.
Wine and crackers

Don't get me wrong. We love wine and crackers especially when you throw in some fancy cheese (the kind without the plastic wrap but we'll take what we get.) But we don't worship them. We do on the other hand adore the Eucharist because we believe that contained within that host is Jesus Christ in the flesh, in his full Divinity. You may not believe that; that's cool, whatever. But we, as Catholics, take the gospel literally when it states "my flesh" and "my blood." You don't have to agree but you do have to respect it because if you believed the tiny host held your Savior you would expect as much.


This on the other hand is what we adore, what we kneel before, what we prostrate ourselves in front of, what many have sacrificed their lives for. This is Jesus Christ and He deserves that much.

26 comments:

  1. Very cool post. Perhaps even HIP! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Mary *kind of* reminds me of Sally from Nightmare Before Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this badassery. I especially love the ending!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! Although, I'm gonna go ahead and agree with the other Paige; that picture of Mary made me think of Sally as well. I think I get asked why we worship Mary, more than anything. I wonder how people get that particular idea and not that we revere her? Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this. It is frustrating being Catholic sometimes...isn't it. Sigh.

    Jenna
    callherhappy.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the picture of Mary! Maybe Tim Burton got his character from the BVM. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What necessitated this post? Most non-Catholics with a brain know these things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! And, for the record, even though recent Glee events have made me down in the dumps, ....we do not worship Finchel. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE! And yes, that Mary *is* a bit disconcerting lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ya'll are crazy! That Mary is beautiful! (Or maybe I have an affinity for rag dolls, whatev...)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your writing. Wit + the funneh = brilliant. Also, I wish I could go back in time to my days at college, just to print this post out and tack it up on bulletin boards across my campus. Seriously. For obvious reasons that are obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. PREACH.

    Also, I'm going to have to agree with the others about That Mary. lol I get what you're saying though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post was beautiful! Loved it!!

    @Jen...Unfortunately I think these things are still misconceptions among non-Catholics, and sadly, even some Catholics.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent Post! My favorite pic of Mary, it's Our Lady of Joy. and she rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't think there was anything strange about that picture of mary...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it! I think that even though a lot of people (though not all) may realize that we don't actually worship these things, but they also do not understand the profound respect that we have for them either. I like the perspective this gives.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can I just say that I love the Kate Middleton analogy? I'll have to use that the next time someone asks me about saints :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can I just say that I love the Kate Middleton analogy? I'll have to use that the next time someone asks me about saints :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE!!! All of it!
    I love the Mary picture ... and the last picture of the Monstrance. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, if I only read stuff that was adjudged "necessary" I'd have missed out on an awful lot.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Katie, I am new to your blog thanks to RAnn's Sunday Snippets and you have a refreshing way of speaking plainly and bluntly. I like it! That picture of Mary is more real than the statues and makes her more real to us. Nice "to meet you"!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely and enlightening. And, the picture of Mary is truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I agree with Paige about the "Sally" Mary... but what I DO love about that Mary is the way she looks right at you. I love a Mary with chutzpah!
    (and btw, the rest of this is awesome)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments so if you've got something to add please don't hesitate. Also, I don't require that you agree with me but I would appreciate if you're nice. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...