Sunday, April 8, 2012

A Beautiful Thing



There haven't been many times that I've been moved to tears during Mass. This Easter was one of the few exceptions. The universality of Catholicism amazes me. To think that every Catholic attending Mass this weekend will hear the same exact readings and those in good standing will partake in Communion, which is a communion of one bread, one Body, that we all are there worshiping one truly present Lord overwhelms me. Reflecting on that this morning and all that is the Easter season blanketed me in a beautiful feeling of love and community.

I haven't had my best Lent. My few measly penitential acts were whopping failures to say the least. I've felt disconnected and distracted by school, life, and all the other things in the material world. I've kind of been in a rut spiritually. Fortunately God can bestow his blessings to even the most downtrodden of hearts.

As I watched people filing in to Mass this morning with their suits and dresses or jeans and polos I was taken aback by the community of people there. We had all of our Mary Magdalenes, prodigal sons, and tax collectors sitting beside our Peters who had once denied Jesus and are now willing to suffer death for him, our Johns who never left his side, and our doubting Thomas's who have come to believe. It's a beautiful thing, all of these people coming together to worship our Savior. This is what Heaven will be like, there will be no rank, no past, no judgment, only eternity. We will all be united perfectly with Christ and that is a beautiful thing.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life." John 3:16


I hope that you all have a very beautiful day and take some time to reflect on what Christ's Resurrection meant for the world, for you. Then promptly follow that up with eating the ear off of a chocolate bunny in one giant bite. :)

And to those who joined the church this year: welcome home!! :D

9 comments:

  1. Aww what a wonderful post, very well put! I had kind of a rough Lent too - getting ready to move, my new job and Cupcakes had me quite distracted. I managed to read Rediscovering Catholicism (which they gave away free at my church this year) and that reeled me in at the end there so that's good.

    I had a similar experience at Mass. The priest's homily was VERY moving! <3 We are a part of a beautiful faith!

    Happy Easter!

    Jamie
    For Love of Cupcakes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Easter!!!
    And it keeps on going...Divine Mecry Sunday next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! Your paragraph on the Mary Magdelene's and Thomas' was copied and pasted into my Status Update. What beautiful words. They made me cry, as I felt my Lent was most horrid and I allowed myself to be distracted. Your post was God speaking through you to me, and I cried. Thank you so much. Bless you!!! Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful reflection! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I said on Facebook that Easter morning somehow seems different from every other morning -- I woke up at 6:30 and didn't go back to sleep. The morning just feels so special and I think it's the memory of Easter sunrise services from college when we'd go to East Field just as the sun was rising and look down at Santa Cruz and out at the ocean. One year, someone was playing a bagpipe in the distance. It was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said. I spent my Lent working lots of overtime at my job, out of town. It was gone before I realized it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also felt that Lent got away from me...but I'm trying to give myself a break, because having four small children keeps me focused on my own weakness All.The.Time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was sick in bed on Easter morning - God had completely co-opted my Holy Week - so I really like what you wrote here. The unity of Catholicism and the pre-figuring of eternity is truly awesome, to use an overused word.

    Don't beat up on yourself about your Lent. Sometimes I think we bite off too much and then get disgusted with ourselves. It's better to pick one really simple thing for self-denial and stick with it. Think of it as just another step on the ladder to holiness. I like to think of Lent as a time to acquire one habit I am willing to continue throughout the year - moving toward God one little bit at a time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments so if you've got something to add please don't hesitate. Also, I don't require that you agree with me but I would appreciate if you're nice. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...