Monday, March 26, 2012

Good Bye Paper Charts

Steven and I used to be super diligent paper charters. I mean we kicked charting's ass! We always passed all the quizzes with flying colors. We knew all of the secret code language and colors. We were NFP rockstars. Plus we had follow ups every month and always got plenty of stickers and reassurance. We never had a question or a doubt. Probably because we were terrified of becoming pregnant.

Then we got married and got released from monthly follow ups to every 6 months. Being that Steven does the charting and isn't exactly the best at planning ahead we would often find ourselves stuck with Sharpie marker-ing in the color for the days. Or just writing "green" on the top part. When we had our 6 month follow up meeting our chart was an embarrassment. After that Steven decided to make a digital version so we would wouldn't have to present such a pitiful piece of crap chart to our instructor or even worse a physician someday.

This all leads us to a few weeks ago when our friends asked for a copy because they had similar sticker problems. We shared it with them and they seemed to like it so much I decided to test the interest on the twittersphere. I piqued a few people's interest so here we are, sharing it with you guys.

Ok, give it to us already!!

I made a generic chart with 2 cycles in it to share with you all. The link below is for the Google Doc which you should be able to download (click on File) and customize it to your own cycle. Also it's made for the Creighton Model but if you think you can adapt it to a different one go for it. If you think it works really well let me know and I'll share it here too (crediting your genius self of course.) If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions about it let me know here or e-mail me.

Creighton Model of Natural Family Planning Digital Chart

First ever watermark. Booyah!
Just to clarify: I do not own these images or claim to own any of it. Just trying to make it easier for my fellow NFPers. Be on the look out for an even more awesome device coming from Creighton themselves this summer, a NFP mobile app! Woot.

Happy Charting. May you never have to worry about stickers again and may the odds be ever in your favor. Wait that's not the right thing.


P.S.
I didn't add any I's but we normally put them in the green section as it's easier. Just a heads up. ;-)

32 comments:

  1. I love this idea, but how do you work the digital chart? How do you put stickers in, etc?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the stickers (white baby, green baby, green and red) you need should be on it except yellow but one can just change the color for those. Are there specific ones you're looking for I missed?

      Delete
  2. This is fabulous! One of the major downsides of CrMS compared to Billings is not only the lack of shorthand to use if you don't have stickers, but also the lack of ability to chart electronically! I was told that this is because Dr. H is something of a Luddite and sees no use for it. Which is kind of crazy since I would have to bring my chart into work to scan it to send to the FCP and doctor! Can you imagine having to explain that?!

    Hopefully if people keep doing things like this you will be able to make the system much better for everyone. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What would have been amazing is if you had put like 50 I's on the chart so we thought you were rabbits :P.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWESOME! Finally, a creighton digital chart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome, thanks for sharing Katie! We are VERY new to NFP (very regrettably did not start with the start of our marriage). Once we get used to the paper chart, we'll have to try this and see how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. good job with the chart! You should get a star sticker on it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, being a Sympto-Thermal girl that just looks terrifying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe We used Sympto-Thermal for years & just recently switched to Creighton. It actually wasn't too bad...and no more trying to keep the thermometer in my mouth as I was dozing back to sleep. LOL

      Delete
  8. Katie, and others, an iPhone app and a computer program for charting Creighton Model have been in the works for some time. However, I suggest revisiting with your teacher. The 8PC should not be charted with a green stamp, even if it is pasty. The fact that it stretches to at least a half-inch means that there is cervical mucus involved, too, and not simply pasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1) That is FANTASTIC to hear, especially the App!
      2) Oh my! I didn't think it'd be so obviously that I don't actually do my charting and am therefore pretty rusty with it. Whoops. You are very right, those shouldn't be green at all. I switched all of those to just dry all day because I figured they had to be green. ;-)

      Thanks for the pointer and the good news!

      Delete
  9. I'm still learning all these crazy methods and symbols that chart is pretty awesome but pretty much greek to me haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank so much! We will be using this. :) I'm terrible with keeping up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excel charts are the bomb! This looks awesome. Yet again, I realize that I need a class if I am going to make sense of this charting business.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Katie - I had no problem downloading your excel chart, however, how do you get the green/white baby stamps?

    Thanks a bunch! Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was being a pain and not showing on the images. I added another doc (I know, annoying) that just has the images. You should be able to copy and paste them into you downloaded chart. Hope that helps! :)

      Delete
    2. Katie,

      Thanks for your chart! I am easily able to see the Google Docs chart itself, but can't seem to find the baby stamps. Thanks for any help you can provide!

      Delete
    3. Katie, Where is the odcument that just has the baby images, try as I may, I can't find it anywhere. Many thanks! Diane

      Delete
  13. Here is an Excel chart with all the baby stamps and everything. Designed for the Billings Method, but works equally well with Creighton.

    http://www.woomb.org/bom/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. There's an iPhone app called NFP Charting Online that was designed for Billings, but works great with CrMS. I'm a CrMS Practitioner Intern and I've been using this app for a while now, although I do hand my clients use their paper charts. Just thought iPhone people might be interested!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Grrrrr *have not hand (stupid iPhone autocorrect) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love doing it digitally! We made an Excel chart a while back too. Now we use the iPhone app. Makes it so much easier for our lifestyle (ie we hate charting because we are lazy...and love babies).

    Jenna
    callherhappy.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Btw, friend, I called Creighton to see what was up. We're still several months out with no definite date, BUT I'm hoping to speed up the process but passing along the news that PEOPLE WANT A CREIGHTON APP! Here's a survey--please share, friends!

    http://www.nfpworksblog.com/2012/08/01/survey-who-wants-a-creighton-app/

    ReplyDelete
  18. My husband and I just had our 2nd baby a little over a week ago. We have been married for over 5 years & haven't been using NFP. I've always wanted to, but he is incredibly resistant. We are going to be talking to my OBGYN on Friday about it. He teaches Creighton as well. Can I ask for your prayers that my hubby will be open and willing to trying it?

    Love the chart!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so lucky to have found your digital chart!! I was bad and stopped charting for a while, because I'm all over the chart anyway and I kept telling myself if God wanted us to have a baby He'd make it happen...charting or not. But, I've got to stop being lazy and start charting again. Is there a way that I can get the digital stamps, I didn't get them!

    Thanks!
    Cait

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it! We just started CrM and are totally bogged down with the whole paper chart. I like something pretty and digital and portable! I noticed the googledoc doesn't have fertile stamps, just white. Anyway to incorporate the fertile stamps?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Still waiting on the app was informed it would is in testing

    ReplyDelete
  22. This doesn't seem like a bad idea because honestly, I don't chart every night. I usually chart the next morning because when I go to bed I don't always "go to bed" (if you catch my drift). I would much rather have an app on my phone. I'm wiling to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments so if you've got something to add please don't hesitate. Also, I don't require that you agree with me but I would appreciate if you're nice. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...