Friday, November 11, 2011

7 Quick Takes #10


Happy Veteran's Day!! Thanks to all the men and women who have served in our nation's Armed Forces to ensure the freedom of our nation continues.

--- 1 ---

I'll start with Steven updates: Last night we had to have another surgery. He had some adhesions and a little abscess. They got both of those taken care of and hopefully we'll actually just go up from here. My friend Hilary came and sat with me until Steven's mom could get here. It was so nice to have someone with my especially since she's an RN and knew what was going on too. I was a mess yesterday, not because the news was that bad but because it was just the exact opposite of what we wanted to hear.

--- 2 ---

So far today we've been doing ok. They put him on a PCA (where he can pump his own pain medicine) and that is so nice because now we don't have to wait as long when he starts having pain. We've waited over 30 minutes for pain medicine multiple times and I have had to go one level shy of Shirley MacLaine a couple of times.



--- 3 ---

Other than those updates there's not much else going on with us. I'm pretty sure Jack thinks I killed Steven and that we're not a single parent family. Haha I can only imagine how excited Jack is going to be when Steven finally gets to come home. That's why I love dogs so much, no matter how crappy you feel they always know how to make you feel better.

Please ignore Jack's mutant eyes. 


--- 4 ---

So there haven't been many perks to this week but I have a really nice one coming this weekend. My mom is coming up tonight and bring her dog Webster. She's going to clean my house for me and get me all caught up on laundry and she's bringing food to put in the freezer so when he gets out we don't have to worry about that. If I could ever suggest something that a family who's been in the hospital needs, that is it. Balloons, cards, flowers, and the like are such nice thoughts but getting my house cleaned for me is just the best. It's going to make me less stressed when I get home at night and it will make our transition back home so much easier.

--- 5 ---

Another one of the few perks about all of this is that I have learned so much. I now know how to place and flush NG tubes, how to diagnose appendicitis, the complications that arise from appendectomy and other abdominal surgeries. I know what an ileus is, what adhesions are, and what symptoms of both of those look like. More importantly though I've learned how hard it is to be in the hospital. I've been very blessed my whole life to never have an overnight stay in the hospital and never really have family that needed to be in there either. I hope I never lose this empathy.

--- 6 ---

Thank you everyone for all of you prayers, thoughts, and well wishes. It has been so comforting to get on here and Twitter and see that people are praying for us and thinking about us, especially since it's people we've never even met. I cannot find the words to thank you all enough.

--- 7 ---
Friday Funny:



For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

13 comments:

  1. I am so glad that your Mom is coming, and that Steven is on the mend. Please remember to try to take care of yourself, too. It is hard when you are trying to care for a loved one. And I LOVE that poster! So true!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad Steven is doing better! Hopefully he'll be home soon! And aren't mom's the greatest? That's great she is coming to help you out!

    That picture of Steven and Jack is hilarious. And, this might make me sound like a freak, but is that the TV show Friends on in the background? I'm weird and always try and figure out what the show is on the background of photos. AND I'm such a Friends freak that I think I can recognize a far away grainy image of it! And if you like the TV show friends then forget about being friends in real life- that means we are long lost sisters or something! :-D

    That JPII pic is amazingly awesome!

    Great quick takes! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that pic of Steven and the dog. Too funny! I hope you guys get to go home soon! Thank God for our mommas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayers for Steven's healing and recovery. Having a clean home will be such a relief after all of this, your mom sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't seem to find an email address to reply to your comment you left on one of my blog posts.. but.. we go to church... at St. Agnes!!!

    This is freaky deaky stuff... LOL.

    We have been "shopping" around for churches and a while back Ryan suggested St. Agnes since that was right by where he graduated high school. We've gone to different places here and there but they just were a little too liberal-ish for me. A few weeks ago I told Ryan that I really liked St. Agnes and felt at home there, so that is where we have decided to settle until we move (and who knows how long that is going to be!)

    That is so funny you go there... we've probably seen each other and didn't realize it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've had overnight stays in the hospital, and you are absolutely right. A clean house and ready-made food is unquestionably the most relieving thing you can possibly give someone. Pryaing you're home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to hear Steven is doing better, you both will continue to be in my prayers, Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Katie, Thanks for stopping by my blog, you high heel wearing fool. :P

    I'm sorry to hear that your hubby had to be hospitalized, but am glad to hear he's doing better now.

    When our daughter was born, my MIL came and stayed with us for nearly two weeks, and it was such a god-send. Mom's are the best!

    Hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear that another surgery was necessary - praying for quick healing! It's so wonderful that your mom will be there! And that you can find such positives about this experiences - you really will be so great with patients because you'll understand how they'll feel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all of the prayers!! Today has been our best day yet and I am so thankful. I have a clean home and tired dog to go home to and a healing husband. Plus my mom made my favorite meal for me to eat all week: spaghetti and meatballs. Yum. Life is good and it will be even better when I get to take Steven home with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the fact that you're taking advantage of this challenging time to gain empathy. I hope that your husband is home soon and you can go back to caring for others instead of dealing with the pain so directly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - poor Steven and you! I'm glad to see from the comments that he is doing better - prayers he is home SOON!

    Love the picture of Steven and your pup - The Man holds our dogs like that too and it's hilarious (especially since Mei Mei actually LIKES to be held that way!).

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope Steven is feeling better and continues to improve. My worst fear has been appendicitis and not knowing it burst. How scary!
    Your mom is so great for cleaning and cooking for you both. I hope your puppy and Steven are reunited soon!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments so if you've got something to add please don't hesitate. Also, I don't require that you agree with me but I would appreciate if you're nice. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...