Saturday, October 8, 2011

WTH and Other Abbreviations

Have you ever been in an NFP forum or group and read something along the lines of this:

"So yesterday was CD14 and my CM was 8C/KL, I believe I'm POD 1 and we're currently TTA so DH and I DTD. Per CrMS I did the SF instructions and today I'm not for sure if I'm charting CM that's EWCF or SR? My schedule has been really erratic so I can't really depend on my BBT for this cycle. FWIW CD14 has been my PD for the past 3 cycles. I checked my copy of TCOYF and am still lost! Can any one help, DH and I just want to make sure we're doing everything we can since we're TTA, KWIM? Maybe we should just buy OPT? If you don't want to share too much (I know this has been a total TMI) just PM me. Thanks!"

WTH?!? (What the hell?!?)



We want to help each other out but sometimes these abbreviations are a bigger hindrance than they are a help! It took me months to figure out that DH means Dear Husband. And don't even get me started on the TTA, is it trying to achieve or trying to avoid?? It was beyond me. That is until the lovely ladies at Living The Sacrament compiled all of these crazy abbreviations into one easy to reference list. It's also posted in the NFP Facebook group*! I copied and pasted it below! Let me know if you have any additions! :)

Abbreviations:



2ww: Two week wait

A

ABC- Artificial Birth Control

AAM: All About Me

AF: "Aunt Flo;" your period

AFM: As For Me

B
BB's: breasts

B/F: Breast feeding

BD: Baby dancing, having sex

BBT: Basal Body Temperature

BCP: Birth control pills

BFN: Big Fat Negative

BFP: Big Fat Positive

BG: Buddy group

BIL: Brother-In-Law

BTW: By the way

C
C:   Cloudy
CD:  Cycle day

CF:  Cervical fluid

CL:  Coverline

CM:  Cervical mucus [also "cervical fluid"]

CP:  Cervical position

D
DD: Dear daughter

DF: Dear fiance

DH: Dear husband

DN: Dear niece or nephew

DPO: Days past ovulation

DS: Dear son

DW: Dear wife

Dx: Diagnosis

E
EDD: Estimated delivery date

EPO: Evening Primrose Oil

EPT: Early Pregnancy Test

ETA: Edited to add

EWCM/F: Egg white cervical mucus/fluid

F
FI: Fiance

FIL: Father-in-Law

FTM: First Time Mom

FWIW: For what it's worth

G

H
H&H 9 Months:  Happy and Healthy [congratulations for pregnancy]

HTH: Hope that helps

I
IC: Intercourse

IF: Infertility

IL: In-Law

IMO: In my opinion

IMHO: In my honest opinion (or In My Humble Opinion)

IRL: In real life

ITA: I totally agree

J
J/K: Joking, just kidding

K
KWIM: Know what I mean?

L
L:  Lubricative
LOL: Laughing out loud

LP: Luteal phase

M
M:   Moist
MIL: Mother-in-Law

ML: Make Love

N
NFP: Natural Family Planning

n/m: nevermind

O
O:  Opaque
O: Ovulation

OB/GYN: Obstetrician/Gynecologist

OC- Oral Contraceptives

OP: Original poster

OPK: Ovulation Predictor Kit

OPT: Ovulation Predictor Test

P
PCOS: Poly-Cystic Ovarian Syndrome

PG: Pregnant

PIAC: Pee In A Cup (take a pregnancy test)

PM: Private message

PMS: Pre-menstrual syndrome

POAS: Pee On A Stick [pregnancy test]

PP: Previous Poster or Post-Partum

Q

R

ROFL: Rolling on the floor laughing

Rx: Prescription

S
S:  Smooth
S:  Sticky
SAHD: Stay at home dad

SAHM: Stay at home mom

SAHW: Stay at home wife

SF: Seminal Fluid

SR: Seminal Residue

SIL: Sister-in-law

SO: Significant other

s/o: spin-off (used if a new thread was started because of a similar question/idea thought of on an existing thread)

STD: Sexually Transmitted Disease

S/W: Software

T
T:  Transparent
TCOYF: Taking Charge of Your Fertility [book by Toni Weschler]

TH:  Thready
TMI:  Too much information

TOB: Theology Of the Body

TTA:  Trying to avoid conception

TTC:  Trying to conceive

TTP: Trying to postpone

TTW: Trying to whatever

TTYL:  Talk to you later

TWW: Two Week Waite

U
UTI: Urinary Tract Infection

V

W
W:  Wet
W:  White 
WAHM:  Work-at-home Mother
X

Y

Z



Hope this helps clear up any confusion some of you may have had! 

*I linked to the Facebook group but it is a closed group (to provide some sense of privacy) so you won't be able to see the list there unless you request to join. 

6 comments:

  1. Ohhh PCOS. That abbreviation is not my friend. But I have been in that facebook group and have been so confused so thank you for this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you posted this! Very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, this is very useful! I'm always so confused - we used NFP (the sympto-thermal method) but I still feel I've always been on the outside!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad we could help!! It's amazing how even with all those abbreviations listed we still have people mention new ones for us to add every couple of months. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man abbreviations are great if everyone knows what they mean! I requested to join the fb group :) I hope they accept me even though I'm not married/dating I'm trying to learn more about NFP so that at engaged encounter or whatever marriage prep I do I'm not all WTH I have 6 months to learn what?!!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you!!! this is sooooo helpful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments so if you've got something to add please don't hesitate. Also, I don't require that you agree with me but I would appreciate if you're nice. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...